Monday, June 16, 2008

It explains Everything.

My reading has been increasing lately, and finding I have more to say than any one person has time or patience to hear, I mean this blog to absorb the excess. Much of the pleasure in reading is in discussion afterwards, and for me at least it helps fix what was read more firmly to discuss it or at least to write about it.

The advantages of a blog over a private literary journal are that someone might read a post and be interested enough to comment, so I could have both writing and discussion, and failing that, I can at least nurture that false hope, where with a journal I would have to leave it accidentally and enticingly open when guests were over, to have any hope of notice. Since any self-respecting journal contains embarrassing admissions and a great deal of sex, intense frustration would be bound to drive away forever whatever readership I briefly gained. Also, I will save a bundle, not having to buy quite so much purple ink and green paper.

The Latin is from Winnie Ille Pu and is taken from chapter four, the introduction of Eeyore. Ior, auritulus cinereus is Eeyore, a little grey donkey. In silvae angulo carduoso is in a quiet thistle-filled spot in the forest. Gustatus carduorum is a taste for thistles. As Eeyore says of his missing tail, "That accounts for a Good Deal. It explains Everything. No Wonder... How Like Them."

No comments: